Did you ever think that this meatlovers’ sandwich would be as delicious as a vegan toasted sandwich? Yup, we did it: we made the perfect Reuben Sandwich: VEGAN!
- 4 slices of rye bread
- 125 grams of sauerkraut
- 1 can of lentils (400 grams)
- 4 slices of Vegan cheese (if available “Swiss”)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Pastrami spice blend (store bought or DIY)
- 2 tablespoons of ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon of ground mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- Drain the lentils and rinse with cold water. Add the lentils to a blender or food processor and add the Pastrami spices and olive oil. Blend until smooth (or chunky if you like). Add some extra chili pepper for more kick. Set aside.
- Drain the sauerkraut. Remove excess liquid by squeezing it using a sif and a spoon
- Assemble the toastie: first add a layer of the lentil blend on two slices of bread (the top and bottom layer).
- Then, add a layer of sauerkraut and on top of that two slices of cheese.
- Close the toastie and place on a preheated grill.
- Grill until crispy or until the cheese has melted completely.
- Serve with a delicious vegan thousand island dressing.
- Sauce tip: Vegan thousand island dressing (store bought or DIY)
- Bread tip: Rye bread
- Equipment: Sandwich grill, blender or food processor
- Category: Toasted Sandwich
- Method: Grilled Sandwich
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Toasted Sandwich, Reuben Sandwich, Vegan Reuben Sandwich, Grilled Cheese,